Model A Restorer’s Club

Since 1957; The Nickle “A” local region of  the MARC, (modelaford.org has been dedicated to the restoration, driving, and preservation of the Model “A” Ford Automobile from 1928 to 1931. Most club activities take place in beautiful northeastern Wisconsin where most of our members reside.

The monthly gatherings held each third Thursday of the month in Summer, and third Sunday in Winter are a great opportunity to meet local “A” enthusiasts, get in contact with resources to aide in your restoration,  and enjoy the fellowship of others who share your interest. Page down to find out how to contact us.

PICPIC

The Nickle “A” Region of  the MARC and MAFCA

PICPICPICPICPIC

The Nickle “A” Region of Wisconsin

Introducing the Local Club Officers & Volunteers

Director: Alan Arenas-Grube director@nicklearegion.com

Vice Director: Roy Farley:

vicedirector@nicklearegion.com

Webmaster: Alan Arenas-Grube:

webmaster@nicklearegion.com

Tool Keeper: Tom Schmidt:

toolkeeper@nicklearegion.com

Editors: Julie Farley:

editors@nicklearegion.com

Historian: Mary Lou Hegner:

historian@nicklearegion.com

Sunshine Chair: Kathy Bresnahan:

sunshinechair@nicklearegion.com

Treasurer: Dennis Voss:

treasurer@nicklearegion.com

Secretary: Roselind Bresnahan:

secretary@nicklearegion.com

Spotlight Reporters: Lisa & Jim Watermolen spotlight@nicklearegion.com

Come join the fun!

Click here to download form to join

 

             Our Local Club Dues are $20 per yr.

             Make check payable to Nickle A Region

 

Fill out the form linked above and mail with membership fee to:

 

             New Membership

             731 Zeh Ave,

             Neenah, WI 54956

 

 

National Club Affiliation:

             MARC Dues: $45 per year

             (to join send to MARC)

             http://www.modelaford.org/

Contact Us

PIC
PICPICPICPICPIC
PICPICPICPICPIC
PICPIC

Welcome!

Why is the car which came after “T” an “A”?

 On July 15, 1903.  The Ford Motor Company sold their first car.  The first Car which was in fact called a “Model A,” went to Dr. Ernest Pfennig of Chicago, Illinois.  He was a dentist and had placed his order for the $850 automobile the week before.  The car was manufactured in Detroit, at the company’s Mack Street plant.  The car boasted a 2-cylinder 8-horsepower engine and could move at speeds approaching 30 miles per hour.  It had two forward gears and one reverse.  Dr. Pfennig ordered his with a tonneau, which we now know as a back seat. It was a convertible, the top didn’t come standard, and it was painted red.  All of the original Model A’s were in fact red.  The Fords that were available “in any color you want, as long as it’s black” came later.

 

Within two months of Pfennig order, Ford Motor Company had sold 215 cars.  Within the first year, they sold almost a thousand.  This was the original Model A.  The next model to be produced was the model C, which came out the following year, and then the Model T, which came out in 1908 and was sold until 1927.  Ford used all of the letters of the alphabet from A to T, but not all of them were manufactured and sold, most were just prototypes.  After the Model T, Ford came up with a design so different and new that he didn’t want to just move on to the letter U. He wanted to start over at the beginning of the alphabet.  So a second and better known Ford automobile known as the Model A was sold from 1927 to 1931.

The Model A

Henry Ford

1903 Ford Model A

The “999” Ford racer

Home

Our Club Name

Derived from the explorers name Nicolet; the French pronunciation is: “Nickle A”. Our club name is often confused with the nickel currency coin. The Nickle “A” Region is one of several regions in Wisconsin that belong to the national Model A Restores Clubs organization. Note the following edited article:

Jean Nicolet (ca. 1598 – 1 November 1642) was a French courier noted for exploring the Green Bay of Lake Michigan, in what is now the state of Wisconsin. Early life Nicolet (Nicollet) was born in Cherbourg-Octeville, France, in the late 1590s, the son of Thomas. Nicollet, who was "messenger ordinary of the King between Paris and Cherbourg". They were members of the Roman Catholic Church. He was a known friend of Samuel De Champlain and Etienne Brule.  He traveled to Canada to participate in Samuel Champlain's plan to train young French men as explorers and traders by having them live among native Americans. The French were setting up fur trading under the Compagnie des Marchands. Arrival at Quebec   In 1618, Nicolet immigrated to Quebec as a clerk to train as an interpreter for, a trading monopoly owned by members of the French aristocracy. To learn the language of the First Nations, Nicolet was sent to live with the  Algonquians on Allumette Island, a friendly settlement located along the important Ottawa River fur trade route. Upon his return to Quebec in 1620, he was assigned to live among the Odawa and Algonquin people in the Lake Nipissing region. During his nine-year stay, he ran a store and traded with the native peoples in the area.

Exploration of Wisconsin: Nicolet is noted for being the first European to cross Lake Michigan. In 1634 he became the first European to explore what would become Wisconsin. He landed at Red Banks, near modern-day Green Bay, Wisconsin, in search of a passage to the Orient. He and other French explorers had learned from their native contacts that the people who lived along these shores were called Ho-Chunk, which the French translated as "People of the Sea." In their language, it meant "harvest (cutting) the rice," as they used wild rice as a staple of their diet. Nicolet concluded that the people must be from or near the Pacific Ocean, and would provide a direct contact with China. Nicolet became the French ambassador to the Ho-Chunk people. He wore brightly colored robes and carried two pistols, to convey his authority. The Ho-Chunk people appreciated his ritual display. With some Ho-Chunk guides, Nicolet ascended the Fox River, portaged to the Wisconsin, and travelled down it until it began to widen. So sure was he that he was near the ocean, that he stopped and went back to Quebec to report his discovery of a passage to the "South Sea," unaware that he had just missed finding the upper Mississippi River.

         Death: Jean Nicolet drowned after his boat capsized during a storm while traveling along the St. Lawrence River in Quebec.

         Legacy: The city of Nicolet, Quebec was named after him. Nicolet Area Technical College in Rhinelander, Nicolet High School in Milwaukee, and The Nicolet National Forest in northern Wisconsin bare his name. In 1950, a statue was erected at Wequiock Falls Park. WI. Nicolet's landing at Red Banks commemorated by 1910 mural at the Neville Public Museum. In 1906, the Jean Nicolet Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution was organized.

PICPICPIC

Home